To be a poet one needs the six P’s – the pencil, the paper, the perception, the passion, the persistence and the unshakable persuasion that the poem is in fact possible and attainable. - Grace Perry

Friday, May 11, 2012

I Remember

Week Two of my residency. This week I decided to use my time completing a homework task for a poetry workshop I am doing with Ron Pretty, through the South Coast Writers Centre. The task was to write a poem, where each line had thirteen syllables and each line was to begin "I remember...". So this is what I have written, and please note that this is a first, rough draft:

I remember shadow puppets acting resolute,
I remember the lustrous rainbow-like colour back drop,
I remember whizzing through the theater curtains
and discovering the destruction my journey brings.
I remember dark stumps strewn like forgotten stage props,
I remember the smoke machine haze clad skeletons,
I remember wishing the show would come to an end,
even the cost, four tonnes of CO2 per actor.
I remember necessity, the show must go on...

No comments:

Post a Comment